Friday, December 31, 2004

Recap....The Down Slide

Been a little while since the last update....so here goes....

The past couple of days have been so different. Christmas time was good and I'm really thankful for that...but lately I just don't feel right. It's definitely time to go back to greenville. I love my family....but they're starting to drive me nuts. I think Ijust crave a little "normalcy,” some sort of schedule, to be back with friends. O well…couple more days to go.

Tuesday was fairly uneventful. I took my sister around Johnson Creek and Madison so she could work on spending Christmas money. I was just trying to get out of the house – it was real obvious that dad didn’t really want us there.

Wednesday was Teena’s funeral. It was a really beautiful service (probably because she planned it herself). There were great stories told – funny and sad alike – and over and over we were shown how many lives she touched. Here’s an ironic fact about her life – the pastor talked about her being a “Sunday kind of girl.” Not only did she love Sundays because of church, inviting guests over to join the family for Sunday dinner, and finding ways to minister – her life was filled with Sunday events. Here’s a list – she was born on Sunday, met her husband on a Sunday, married on Sunday, all but 1 of her 6 kids were born on Sundays, her son Terry died a couple of months ago on a Sunday, she’s had 4 heart attacks in the past year which all came on Sundays, and then she ended up dying on a Sunday (I know I’m probably forgetting a few events…but wow). Also, she was so organized and concerned about people – Lee told us that she knew she was going to die before Christmas and that she had almost every present bought, wrapped, and labeled back in October. The day before she died she even gave a list of presents and money to her daughter to make sure the ‘forgotten gifts’ were bought for Christmas. She also loved making these blankets for people and had started to make one for her granddaughter Amanda. That day before, she told Amanda to quick run to her house and get the unfinished blanket and that she thought she could quick get it done before she went. The pastor also talked about how much peace she had throughout the last month of her life and how much she was looking forward to heaven. She never lost her sense of humor (making west Virginia jokes and once saying “hey…shouldn’t I be going into a coma or something?” she really wanted people to celebrate more than grieve) Anyways, they showed a video of pictures of her and family (6 kinds, 18 grand-kids, and 3 great grand-kids) and it was really nice. It was a long service but there’s no way they could have done her life justice if they had cut it short. I apologize…you all probably don’t really want to hear about all of this…so I’ll just conclude Wednesday with this last thing. They included her favorite poem in the bulletin:
been a little while since the last update....so here goes....


It's In The Valley I Grow by Tracy Mayfield

Sometimes life seems hard to bear - Full of sorrow, trouble, and woe.
It's then I have to remember - That it's in the valleys I grow.
If I always stayed on the mountain top - And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love - And would be living in vain.
I have so much to learn - And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops - But it's in the valleys I grow.
I do not always understand - Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing - My Lord will see me through.
My little valleys are nothing - When I picture Christ on the cross.
He went through the valley of death - His victory was Satan's loss.
Forgive me Lord, for complaining - When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder - That it's in the valleys I grow.
Continue to strengthen me, Lord - And use my life each day
To share your love with others - And help them find their way.
Thank you for valleys, Lord - For this one thing I know;
The mountain tops are glorious - But it's in the valleys I grow!

I spent yesterday and today in Fennimore – we had a short little Christmas time with grandma. I love grandma…but there’s nothing to do when we visit. We just sit around doing nothing – anyways…there’s two days of no sleep and boredom. O well. It was good to see her and I know she appreciated our coming. We came back early today because of New Years Eve stuff. We’re going over to the Richey’s for dinner and the rest of the family is staying til after midnight. I’m only going to spend a couple hours over there and then I’m going to a different party. I’ve gotta say…I really have never liked New Years Eve (fairly obvious reasons)…and even though I know that I’ll have some fun tonight…anticipation of the evening is always tough. O well…here goes nothing…can’t believe tomorrow starts 2005. I never thought that year would come…..but it’s almost here….guess I start getting ready…it’s gonna be a long night – in many ways….c-ya in ’05….
-jc-

No comments: